Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-25 01:19:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Folks,

> > Sadly, I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of professors using MySQL to
> > teach database theory. Just like there's a lot of other people who use
> > it because they don't know any better. But everyone else uses it, so it
> > must be good, right?

In my experience, universities in the US tend to use one of 3 database systems
to teach DB programming:

1) Oracle because the Uni has a campus-wide license and there's lots of good
books on Oracle.
2) MS SQL Server because the Uni is an all-Microsoft shop
3) PostgreSQL because they can take it apart

I can't say that I've encountered MySQL being used for University courses from
anyone I've talked to at conventions.

Also, shouldn't we be discussing this on -Advocacy, not -Hackers?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions