Re: Update more than one table

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, David Pratt <fairwinds(at)eastlink(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update more than one table
Date: 2005-07-12 15:35:35
Lists: pgsql-general

# bruno(at)wolff(dot)to / 2005-07-12 10:08:37 -0500:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 15:05:30 -0300,
> David Pratt <fairwinds(at)eastlink(dot)ca> wrote:
> > Hi Roman. Many thanks for your reply. This is interesting and will I
> > give this a try and let you know how it works out. With this you are
> > right, application logic and transaction don't have to be separate
> > which would be nice for this. I was thinking the only way to solve was
> > a function that performed an update and returned the nextval at the
> > same time so that I could use that value to perform the update on next
> > table,etc.
>
> Normally you can just use currval. But in your case you insert insert two
> records and currval will only return the value of the second record's key.
> Assuming the first record's key is one less than the second's is not a good
> idea. With the current version you can probably make this work reliably
> by grabbing a block of ids for your session and making sure that the two
> records get their keys from the same preallocated block.

Notice the pseudo code I posted:

INSERT INTO first_table ...; <- insert one row
SELECT currval(first_table); <- first currval()
INSERT INTO first_table ...; <- insert another row
SELECT currval(first_table); <- second currval()
INSERT INTO second_table ...; <- this ellipsis hides the two
currval() return values

See? I didn't assume anything.

You don't know, man. You don't KNOW.
Cause you weren't THERE. http://bash.org/?255991