R: How to move a DB from one server to another...

From: "Federico Simonetti (Etheye)" <flame(at)etheye(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: R: How to move a DB from one server to another...
Date: 2005-06-23 05:46:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Thank you Tom.

I see. But what if the need is different? Say I have four databases on my
central server and I need to copy *only one* of them to another server.

Same server version and platform: 8.0.3 on Windows.

I can't believe there's no easy way to do this. PostgreSQL appears to be an
extremely good RDBMS but if it lacks this feature it can't fit our needs
and, I guess, there are many other people in the same situation.

I've found the same question in many forums, m-lists and web sites. Never
found a concrete answer up till now. Is this in the development plans? I
really do believe if PostgreSQL wants to be an alternative to SQLServer,
Oracle or even mySQL, an easy copy/move/replicate feature is a must. You
agree?

Of course we could use SQL (CREATE DATABASE, CREATE TABLE, INSERT INTO....)
but this would take years on large databases, while a rough "copy this
folder to the new server" would take just a few seconds.

Has anybody faced/solved this issue?

Thank you in advance,

Federico Simonetti