Re: BUG #1721: mutiple bytes character string comaprison

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, books(at)ejurka(dot)com, cdliou(at)mail(dot)cyut(dot)edu(dot)tw,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1721: mutiple bytes character string comaprison
Date: 2005-06-20 22:37:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> >
> > > Shouldn't we forbid its creation then?
> >
> > There was serious discussion of that before the 8.0 release, but
> > we decided not to forbid it.  Check the archives; I don't recall
> > the reasoning at the moment.
> UTF8 encoding works with the C locale assuming you don't care about
> ordering of the character set, e.g. Japanese.

No, sometimes Japanese needs char ordering too and I think this is not
a Windows only problem. The real problem is Unicode defines char
orderes in totally random manner because Chinese/Japanese/Korean Kanji
characters are "Unified" in Unicode. To solve the problem, we can use
convert UTF8 to EUC_JP using CONVERT. See archives for more details.

Or you can use Unicode locale only if your platform's locale database
is not broken and you only use single locale.
Tatsuo Ishii