Re: trigger/rule question

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trigger/rule question
Date: 2005-05-02 03:31:34
Lists: pgsql-sql
* Ramakrishnan Muralidharan <ramakrishnanm(at)pervasive-postgres(dot)com> wrote:

Hi,

>     Going through you mail, I assume that you are updating the mtime
>     only after inserting the record.

An "normal" update (=done by an application or user) should also
update the mtime. But there's an replication subsystem, which writes
should go through untouched.

> It is always possible to check the mtime filed value of the inserted
> record and take action based on it in the trigger.

yeah, but how to detect whether the application has explicitly
written it ?

The only chance I currently have in mind is to use some session
dependent data, i.e. username or some persistant storage (could be
easily done ie. w/ plphp) for this decision. The sync subsystem
has to do some "special" login (ie. separate user or setting the
session wide variable) before doing its work.

I would be happier to let a rule do this, so there's not an extra
function per written row. But all my experiments ran into infinite
recoursion trouble.

>     Is it possible to send me detail about the trigger?
The trigger isn't existing yet. I'm currently maintaining the mtime
updates within the application, but I wanna get away from that. It
probably would be interesting, if a normal application couldn't
touch the mtime at all.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact(at)metux(dot)de
  Realtime Forex/Stock Exchange trading powered by postgresSQL :))
                                            http://www.fxignal.net/