Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-04-28 13:02:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

You might remember that when we released 8.0, the plan was to have a
12-month development cycle for 8.1, unless there were Win32 problems
that required complex fixes, in which case we would have a shorter 8.1
cycle.

Well the good news is that there have been almost no Win32 problems, but
the other good news is that we are getting a lot of powerful features
for 8.1 already:

o two-phase (Heikki Linnakangas, almost done)
o multiple out function paramters (Tom, done)
o bitmappted indexes (Tom, almost done)
o shared row locks (Alvaro, almost done)
o integrated auto-vacuum (Bruce)
o buffer cache fixes for SMP (Tom, done)

It is possible all these items will be done by sometime in June. Now,
if that happens, do we want to continue with the 12-month plan or
shorten the 8.1 release cycle, perhaps targeting a release in the
September/October timeframe?

The current core proposal is to do feature freeze on July 1, with the
understanding that we will be done most of the items above by then and
have the outstanding patches applied.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us