Re: 64 or 32 postgres

From: Matthew Wronkowski <mattw(at)csh(dot)rit(dot)edu>
To: "Subbiah, Stalin" <SSubbiah(at)netopia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64 or 32 postgres
Date: 2005-03-25 19:32:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 11:12AM -0800, I got a letter,
 where Subbiah, Stalin told me:

> How to figure out whether the installed postgres version is 32 bit or
> 64bit ? We installed postgres801 from src on susu box with EMT64 bit
> hardware. I assume since the hardware was 64 bit, postgres should have
> compiled in 64 bit too, but then we ran into this error
>
> FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized without
> HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP but the server was compiled with
> HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP.
> HINT: It looks like you need to recompile or initdb.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks,
> Stalin

Stalin,

Probably the easiest way to figure out if the server is 64-bit is to
run 'file postmaster' binary.  However, the problem you are running into
is because postgresql was configured/compiled with

--enable-integer-datetimes  enable 64-bit integer date/time support

Recompile without this flag.

--
Matthew Wronkowski, CCNP
Bioinformatics