Re: logging as inserts

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Subject: Re: logging as inserts
Date: 2005-03-03 21:02:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> That seems a bit bizarre to me.  The facility isn't a new log
> destination; what it is is a different way of formatting what's
> sent to the log.

It's not, but it functions like one.  And ultimately, the destination *is*
someplace different; likely the DBA will be piping the log output to another
database somewhere.

> log_message_format = 'INSERT INTO mytab VALUES(%this, %that, ...);'

Yeah, good idea.

> I wonder whether this could be defined in a way that lets it replace
> log_line_prefix ... otherwise we have to think about the interaction of
> the two facilities.

Well, that's why I like the idea of using log_destination.   It makes it clear
that log_line_prefix doesn't work if log_destination <> 'stderr'.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions