Re: Function return number of affected rows

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function return number of affected rows
Date: 2005-02-10 14:46:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:34:04AM -0200, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
> I'd like to know if it is possible to get the number of affected rows of
> an insert, update or delete command inside a function.

Yes, but how you get that information depends on your client interface.
With libpq, for example, you could call PQcmdTuples().  If you're using
something else then see the relevant documentation.

> I'd like to know that, because I want to add this support, if possible,
> to Npgsql.
> I know the server sends a CompletedResponse message indicating the
> number of rows affected by a insert update and delete sent directly. But
> if this is inside a function? Is it possible to get this message too?

Does Npgsql use its own implemention of the PostgreSQL protocol?
If so, then that implementation will have to provide the desired
functionality itself.

Michael Fuhr