pg_dump --data-only problem with PgSQL 8.0

From: Jani Averbach <jaa(at)jaa(dot)iki(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump --data-only problem with PgSQL 8.0
Date: 2005-01-24 18:16:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello, I have a following problem:

In short: I can't reload pg_dump --data-only dump (ver. 8.0) back to
the database, because the loading will violate ref. integrity.

The long story:

We have a PgSQL 7.2.5 database, and we like to bring only the data to
the PgSQL 8.0 system. So I did following:

1) dump 7.2.5 database with:
pg_dump \
"--data-only" \
"--column-inserts" \
"--use-set-session-authorization" \
old_db > old_db.data-only.dump

2) Create a schema on the new PgSQL system:
CreateDBSchema.sh new_db

3) Load the old data to the new system:
psql new_db < old_db.data-only.dump

So far, so good, the loading succeeded. Now If continue,
the following won't work:

4) Dump only data from just created 8.0 database:
pg_dump \
"--data-only" \
"--column-inserts" \
"--use-set-session-authorization" \
new_db > new_db.data-only.dump

5) Re-Create the new_db:
dropdb new_db; createdb new_db
CreateDBSchema.sh new_db

6) Try to reload data which was dumped from new ver 8.0 database:
psql new_db < new_db.data-only.dump

This will fail with lots of these kinds of errors:
ERROR: insert or update on table "mytable"
violates foreign key constraint "mytable_myattr_fkey"

However, If I take a data+schema dump after step #3,

7) Dump data and schema from new database:
pg_dump "--use-set-session-authorization" \
new_db > new_db.dump

8) And load that, it will succeed:
dropdb new_db; createdb new_db
psql new_db < new_db.dump

What I am doing wrong? Or have I found an ordering bug with pg_dump
when you are doing "--data-only" dumps?

These two databases are living in different machines, so there can't be
any version mismatch between pg_dump, psql and databases.

Thanks for any help,
Jani

--
Jani Averbach