Making a varchar bigger

From: Derik Barclay <dbarclay(at)givex(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Making a varchar bigger
Date: 2004-12-23 22:13:42
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello Group,

I've run into a bit of a problem, I have a varchar(6) field that I now need to
have as a varchar(12).

I am relatively new to postgres and am unsure how best to do this. What I
would like to do is alter the meta-data directly. Change the value of
atttypmod in pg_attribute directly. Initial tests look good, however I am
unsure how safe this is. Or what else needs to be done? does it need to be
re-indexed?

I have looked at the sections on renaming/changing columns, though this is
more a solid an option, I am dealing with millions of records and the
downtime for the backfill is not acceptable.

I found some old post in here hinting at doing this, however the links in them
are now dead.

--
Givex - http://www.givex.com/
Derik Barclay <dbarclay(at)givex(dot)com>, Systems Software Engineer

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Greg StarkDate: 2004-12-23 22:22:24