Re: Bgwriter behavior

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bgwriter behavior
Date: 2004-12-22 21:03:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > So what are we doing for 8.0?
>
> Well, it looks like RC2 has already crashed and burned --- I can't
> imagine that Marc will let us release without an RC3 given what was
> committed today, never mind the btree bug that Mark Wong seems to have
> found. So maybe we should just bite the bullet and do something real
> about this.
>
> I'm willing to code up a proposed patch for the two-track idea I
> suggested, and if anyone else has a favorite maybe they could write
> something too. But do we have the resources to test such patches and
> make a decision in the next few days?
>
> At the moment my inclination is to sit on what we have. I've not seen
> any indication that 8.0 is really worse than earlier releases; the most
> you could argue against it is that it's not as much better as we hoped.
> That's not grounds to muck around at the RC3 stage.

I remember the other difference between 8.0 and pre-8.0. When a backend
has to write a block in 8.0, it does a write _plus_ fsync(), while in
pre-8.0 it did only a write. There was a proposal to pass backend write
information to the background writer so it would know to fsync at
checkpoint, but it was decided that backend writing would be rare. I
think we have to rethink that assumption.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us