Re: Doc patch needed: encodings?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc patch needed: encodings?
Date: 2004-12-06 19:02:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Berkus wrote:
> In US distributions it's a recent thing. The switch to non-C
> locales is a recent thing; RH Enterprise 3.0, and SuSE 9.0.

I have it on record that Red Hat has set a non-C locale by default at
least since Red Hat 6.1 as distributed in North America (aren't they
the same anyway?) in 1999. I know that because we had this exact
discussion back then.

> I'd like to have an explanation of this somewhere else newbies are
> liable to read it, *before* their first production "LIKE" query
> doesn't use an index. Where would be appropriate?

Near the documentation of "LIKE".

> And, for English speakers, what exactly is wrong with using 'C'
> locale instead of the environment one?

It makes it difficult to write a résumé, to name one thing.

--
Peter Eisentraut