7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck

From: <ogjunk-pgjedan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.3.4 -> 7.3.8 - a little stuck
Date: 2004-11-17 04:58:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

I was using 7.3.4 and decided to upgrade to 7.3.8.  I did this via RPMs
for RH9.  RPM installed OK, and the migration of data looks like it

I have one remaining problem:  I can start the DB with `pg_ctl -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data start', but I cannot start it with
`/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start'.  The error I get is the same one
that I was getting before I 'upgraded' the data:

"An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade
the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's
documentation directory)/postgresql-7.4/README.rpm-dist for more

Does anyone know what I could do to get this to work?

Although I upgraded to 7.3.8, I saw several incorrect(?) references to
7.4 (e.g. PGVERSION=7.4 in that init script).  Mistakes?  Should I just
be upgrading to the latest 7.4.* version instead?

To migrate/upgrade the data after the DB install, I followed these

However, I also had to recreate the user (createuser) and the DB itself
(createdb).  Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?

Thank you,

pgsql-admin by date