PGDATA problem

From: David Beechum <helium_isotope(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGDATA problem
Date: 2004-10-18 21:55:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
I just installed postgresql on my gentoo box.
everything works fine when i use the default data
directory '/var/lib/postgresql/data' but the problem
is i do not want my data stored there. so i created a
new directory owned by postgres
'/home/postgresql/data' and ran $initdb -D
/home/postgresql/data

it successfully created the database.
so $/etc/init.d/postgresql start
*directory not found: /var/lib/postgresql/data/
*your should create PGDATA directory first

so i figure i need to update my enviromental variable
PGDATA

$echo $PGDATA

the variable had not been set so i set it globably,
then
$echo $PGDATA
/home/postgresql/data

there PGDATA is set so it should work, shouldnt it?
so $/etc/init.d/postgresql start
*directory not found: /var/lib/postgresql/data/
*your should create PGDATA directory first

so i check the init.d script and verify it is using
$PGDATA for the data path and it is. so why is it
still trying to use '/var/lib/postgresql/data/' as the
data path even after i have set the enviromental
variable PGDATA to something different. HELP PLZ :)

thanks ~Dave