Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date: 2004-08-30 04:59:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 29 August 2004 18:29, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > On the ordering issues, I'd go for straight alphabetical schema/name
> > sort in all cases; I thought that's where we were already, but if you
> > see some missing cases let's fix it.  I'm not enamored of discriminating
> > against system objects in the sort order.
>
> I don't agree with this. We already discriminate against system objects by
> not showing system tables, for example, when doing a \dt. There is no
> reason I should have to scroll through 1500+ system functions using \df
> because I forgot the name of one of the 12 functions I've created, or
> simply because I want to view all 12 quickly.

On the one hand I would have to agree with Greg, and I would point out that by
default in phppgadmin we don't display system functions since it is just too
overbearing.

OTOH I know that I sometimes use /df to look up built in functions that I
don't exactly remember, so keeping a way to access the system functions is
handy.

Given a third hand I'd look for some way to do both... perhaps \df can show
all functions and \df- can show only user created functions?

--
Robert Treat