Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, barwick(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-25 02:06:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter Eisentraut wrote
> David Wheeler wrote:
> > That's not the trouble so much as that the locales can be badly
>
> If we always followed the principle "X could be broken, so let's not use
> X", then we would never get anything done. Instead, "X is broken, so
> fix it".

You want to talk my employer into giving me a month (full time) to build
some foundation open source tools, with the understanding that when
that's done maybe we'll know enough to actually be able to pin down a
schedule for fixing this one?

> > broken, and that they're useless for multilingual use.
>
> I don't agree with that, but perhaps we differ in our interpretation of
> "multilingual use".

Yes. There is a huge difference between incidental use of CJKV encodings
in a mostly Latin-based language database and using incidental Latin
characters in a mostly CJKV database.

> If you have special requirements, you can always
> turn the locales off.

Wish it were that simple, but that's where we apparently have to start,
for now.

--
Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>