Re: Query kills machine.

From: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query kills machine.
Date: 2004-08-24 13:30:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christopher Kings-Lynne mentioned :
=> sort_mem = 4096

Reducing sort_mem to 4096 seems to make it run in a reasonable time
again. Any idea why? The database does a whole lot of huge sorts
every day, so I thought upping this parameter would help.

A couple of queries do seem to run slower now that I reduced
the sort_mem.

The shared buffers still makes a significant difference when I increase it.

Kind Regards
Stefan