Re: Service startup delay

From: "Max Dunn" <mdunn(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,"'Barry Lind'" <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Service startup delay
Date: 2004-08-24 02:17:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32pgsql-patches
Bruce,

I installed the build compiled on 8/21 (which I assume contains this patch)
and added the -w option, but it didn't solve the problem. The first two
reboots worked fine, but on the third reboot, the subsequent service
(Tomcat) started up before Postgres was ready. (Besides our applet not
starting, the postmaster.pid timestamp was 2 seconds after Tomcat started.)

Another issue is that when installing the Postgres service with "pg_ctl
register -w ...." the "-w" parameter was not put in the registry "ImagePath"
value for the Postgres service. (I added it manually to test.) So I suspect
that "pg_ctl register" will need to be enhanced to add the "-w" parameter to
the registry settings.

--Max