Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-23 14:41:10
Lists: pgsql-general
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Marc,
> > Since I (and I don't believe anyone else on core) uses Java ...
> > shouldn't it be up to the developer of the PL/J* modules to do this?  We
> > can't weigh which one is better then the other, as we don't use it ...
> >
> Of course the contributors should supply as much of this material as
> possible. The point I'm trying to make is that there's often no
> incentive to do so, nor a good place to put it.

What incentive do you want us to give?  We don't have any.  And if
someone does it, we will find a place for it.

> > Also, how does someone support something that they don't use?  Again,
> > that is the developer of PL/J*'s job to do, not ours ...
> >
> Again, I'm not trying to offload work from the contributors onto the
> members of core. This is about how things are perceived by the
> PostgreSQL customers. Of course the contributors must continue to
> support their products. If they don't, I'd expect the "supported" status
> to be dropped at some point.

I think you want us to look more like a MySQL AB or Oracle company where
things are more bundled and blessed.  It isn't going to happen with us
because we aren't a company, don't make money, and don't control anyone.

This reminds me of the MySQL migration guy who didn't want to use a 3rd
party replicaiton solution.  I really wanted to say he might be happier
with MySQL.