Re: Guidlines for a PostgreSQL Speech/Tutorial

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Guidlines for a PostgreSQL Speech/Tutorial
Date: 2004-08-14 19:31:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems] wrote:
> Hopeless and I thought I would get help.

Well, I'll try.

> > 1. What stuff should I study the most.

Ideally, learn the manual by heart. People will inevitably ask you
questions about everything you don't know. Check the mailing lists and
get a feeling for what people want to know most often. Get a feeling
for what's under development, because people will ask about that. And
if you don't know, just tell your audience. You're human. Just don't
waste everyone's time stumbling for an answer.

> > 2. What topics must I cover in the meet that will give PostgreSQL a
> > big boost

That depends on how you estimate your audience. If the audience doesn't
know about PostgreSQL, you explain what PostgreSQL is in very general
terms If the audience already knows about PostgreSQL, you talk about
current development and features.

> > 3. Should I give a tutorial or just a speech about the features of
> > PostgreSQL.

That depends on what you feel up to and what your audience wants. A
speech is probably best for the purpose of promoting PostgreSQL.

> > 4. Scary topic for me is Object oriented part of PostgreSQL.

Either you research it or you skip it. I could give you an explanation
here, but I have had the best results for myself looking up what
"object-relational" means in a book. Because it's not quite what many
people on these mailing lists will tell you.

> > moreover I would be happy to receive guidelines and text of any

Go to the library and get three books about "how to hold presentations"
or something like that, and read them. Work out your timing. Don't
talk too much about Berkeley in the year 1986, talk about PostgreSQL in
the year 2004/5. Keep in mind that your audience listens to you
because they want to know what PostgreSQL can do for them. That should
be the governing theme for everything you have to say.

You can find my presentations at
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/past-events/, but they're
mostly in German.

--