Re: add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>, olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 20:42:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Chris Travers wrote:
> I understand the advantage of kernelization in PostgreSQL, but to
> make this work, perhaps we need a community-maintained distribution
> which includes many of these other add-ons.

There are plenty of distributions out there, some community maintained.
Some do a better job at providing a complete set of PostgreSQL
"add-ons" than others. If you're interested in that sort of thing,
join in the effort of your favorite distribution.

About half a year ago I was thinking exactly the same thing as what you
just wrote. But I realized that there is virtually no room for a
"PostgreSQL distribution" to live between people who always download
the original sources and people who want the full service of their
operating system's package management. I have since joined a community
maintained Linux distribution and now I have no problem getting all the
PostgreSQL software I need.

So if you're not getting reasonable access to PostgreSQL add-ons in your
OS environment, start packaging. And if you're stuck with a vendor
that does not listen to your package requests, find a new one. :)

--
Peter Eisentraut