SIG-BEER-WEST: NEXT Saturday 8/14 in Mountain View

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SIG-BEER-WEST: NEXT Saturday 8/14 in Mountain View
Date: 2004-08-08 23:14:06
Lists: sfpug

[1]SIG-beer-west
Saturday, August 14, 2004 at 1:00 pm
San Francisco Bay area, CA

[1] http://extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

Beer. Mental stimulation.

Please note that the August 2004 event has been moved to the 2nd
Saturday, instead of the usual 3rd Saturday. This is a temporary
change, for this month only.

This event:

Saturday, 08/14/2004, 1:00 pm, at the [3]Small Brewers Festival, Mountain View

[3] http://smallbrewersfest.com/

Coming events (third Saturdays):
Saturday, 09/18/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 10/16/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 11/20/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 12/18/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined

The San Francisco Bay area's next social event for techies and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place at 1:00 pm on Saturday,
August 14, 2004 at the [4]Small Brewers Festival in Mountain View,
CA, behind [5]The Tied House Cafe & Brewery, located at [6]954 Villa
Street.

[4] http://smallbrewersfest.com/
[5] http://www.tiedhouse.com/locations/mtn_view.html
[6] http://tinyurl.com/6lmnx

Join us for this special sig-beer-west field trip. According to the
Small Brewers Fest website:

Within the 18,000 square foot big top tent will be the 40+ West
Coast microbreweries participating in this Beer Tasting Event,
offering more than 150 unique beers. Tasting kits, which include a
festival mug and eight tasting tokens, will be available for a $20
donation.

The first fourteen years has seen an outpouring of support from the
community that exceeded the committees expectations. Approximately
$800,000 dollars have been raised for local charities. For all
your continued support, the Festival thanks you.

Here are the participating microbreweries. Quite an impressive list.

Alaskan Brewing Co. http://www.alaskanbeer.com/>
Anchor Brewing Co. http://www.anchorbrewing.com/>
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. http://www.avbc.com/>
Beach Chalet Brewery http://www.beachchalet.com/>
Bison Brewing Co. http://www.bisonbrew.com/>
Bonnema Brewing Co. http://www.bonnemabrew.com/>
Butte Creek Brewing Co. http://www.organicale.com/>
Deschutes Brewing Co. http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/>
Devils Canyon Brewing Co. http://www.devilscanyonbrewery.com/>
E.J. Phair Brewing Co. http://www.ejphair.com/
Eldos El Toro Brewing Co.
English Ales Brewery http://www.englishalesbrewery.com/
Faultline Brewing http://www.faultlinebrewing.com/
Firestone Walker http://www.firestonebeer.com/
Green Flash Brewing Co. http://www.greenflashbrew.com/
Happy Valley Brewing Co. http://www.happyvalleybrewing.com/
Hoppy Brewing Co. http://www.hoppy.com/
Hoptown Brewing Co. http://www.hoptownbrewing.com/
Kent Wheat (Beer Competition winner 2002)
Lagunitas Brewing Co. http://www.lagunitas.com/
Los Gatos Brewing Co. http://www.lgbrewingco.com/
Lost Coast Brewery http://www.lostcoast.com/
Mad River http://www.madriverbrewing.com/
Mendocino and Carmel Brewing http://www.mendobrew.com/
Mount St. Helena Brewery http://www.mtsthelenabrew.com/
New Belgium Brewing Co. http://www.newbelgium.com/
Pyramid Brewing Co. http://www.pyramidbrew.com/
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery http://www.rockbottom.com/
Seabright Brewery http://www.seabrightbrewery.com/
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. http://www.sierranevada.com/
Speakeasy Ales and Lagers http://www.goodbeer.com/
Steelhead Brewery at Burlingame Station
Stoddard's http://www.stoddardsbrew.com/
Third Street Aleworks http://www.thirdstreetaleworks.com/
Tied House Cafe & Brewery http://www.tiedhouse.com/
Triple Rock Brewery http://www.triplerock.com/
Two Rivers Cider Co. http://www.tworiverscider.com/
Widmer Brothers Brewery http://www.widmer.com/
Wyder's Cider http://www.wyders.com/

Here's a [43]map showing the location of the Tied House. The Tied
House serves food and, in addition, downtown Mountain View has an
impressive number of fine food establishments. Here is a [44]Guide to
Restaurants in Downtown Mountain View.

[43] http://tinyurl.com/6lmnx
[44] http://www.mountainviewca.net/

Normally, sig-beer-west festivities start at 6:00 pm. But this month,
festivities will start at 1:00 pm, and continue until ???. There is
music scheduled at the Festival as early as 11:00 am that day, so
anyone wanting to spend sometime at the festival before the start of
sig-beer-west can show up at 11:00 to listen. The last musical event
is schedule for 9:00 pm that day.

When you show up, you should look for some kind of home made
sig-beer-west sign. We will try to make it obvious who we are. :-)
Note: Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a particular
person. sig-beer-west may have different hosts from month to month.

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and
others (all of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass
with interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month. (Do it now
before you forget!) sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday of
each month.

Want to suggest a venue? Suggestions for new places to sip and gab
are always welcome. Have questions, comments, or other ideas
concerning sig-beer-west? Send all correspondence to the current
sig-beer-west Instigator. The Instigator's handle is extasia. The
Instigator's email address is <*the handle*> at <*the handle*> dot
<*org*>. A subject beginning with "sbw: " will increase the chances
that the Instigator's spam filters don't molest your message.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends". How do I
know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend. You
just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
month's event. That's it. Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in hanging
out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
folks. Please do join us.

3. Q: Is parking difficult, like maybe I should factor this into my
travel time?

A: Usually, but the earlier you arrive, the better your chances of
finding a spot.

4. Q: I've been thinking about attending sig-beer-west for some time
now. Maybe I should start with this event?

A: Yes!!

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a [45]dc-sage tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
"send the BEER signal to that process".

The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC,
usually on the first Saturday night of the month.

[45] http://www.dc-sage.org/

Last modified: $Date: 2004/08/07 20:21:41 $