SIG-BEER-WEST: NEXT Saturday 8/14 in Mountain View

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SIG-BEER-WEST: NEXT Saturday 8/14 in Mountain View
Date: 2004-08-08 23:14:06
Lists: sfpug

Saturday, August 14, 2004 at 1:00 pm
San Francisco Bay area, CA

Beer.   Mental stimulation.

Please note that the August 2004 event has been moved to the 2nd
Saturday, instead of the usual 3rd Saturday.  This is a temporary
change, for this month only.

This event:

Saturday, 08/14/2004, 1:00 pm, at the [3]Small Brewers Festival, Mountain View

Coming events (third Saturdays):
  Saturday, 09/18/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 10/16/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 11/20/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 12/18/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined

The San Francisco Bay area's next social event for techies and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place at 1:00 pm on Saturday,
August 14, 2004 at the [4]Small Brewers Festival in Mountain View,
CA, behind [5]The Tied House Cafe & Brewery, located at [6]954 Villa

Join us for this special sig-beer-west field trip.  According to the
Small Brewers Fest website:

  Within the 18,000 square foot big top tent will be the 40+ West
  Coast microbreweries participating in this Beer Tasting Event,
  offering more than 150 unique beers.  Tasting kits, which include a
  festival mug and eight tasting tokens, will be available for a $20

  The first fourteen years has seen an outpouring of support from the
  community that exceeded the committees expectations.  Approximately
  $800,000 dollars have been raised for local charities.  For all
  your continued support, the Festival thanks you.

Here are the participating microbreweries.  Quite an impressive list.

  Alaskan Brewing Co.       >
  Anchor Brewing Co.        >
  Anderson Valley Brewing  Co.>
  Beach Chalet Brewery      >
  Bison Brewing Co.         >
  Bonnema Brewing Co.       >
  Butte Creek Brewing Co.   >
  Deschutes Brewing Co.     >
  Devils Canyon Brewing Co. >
  E.J. Phair Brewing Co.
  Eldos El Toro Brewing Co.
  English Ales Brewery
  Faultline Brewing
  Firestone Walker
  Green Flash Brewing Co.
  Happy Valley Brewing Co.
  Hoppy Brewing Co.
  Hoptown Brewing Co.
  Kent Wheat (Beer Competition winner 2002)
  Lagunitas Brewing Co.
  Los Gatos Brewing Co.
  Lost Coast Brewery
  Mad River
  Mendocino and Carmel Brewing
  Mount St. Helena Brewery
  New Belgium Brewing Co.
  Pyramid Brewing Co.
  Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
  Seabright Brewery
  Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
  Speakeasy Ales and Lagers
  Steelhead Brewery at Burlingame Station
  Third Street Aleworks
  Tied House Cafe & Brewery
  Triple Rock Brewery
  Two Rivers Cider Co.
  Widmer Brothers Brewery
  Wyder's Cider

Here's a [43]map showing the location of the Tied House.  The Tied
House serves food and, in addition, downtown Mountain View has an
impressive number of fine food establishments.  Here is a [44]Guide to
Restaurants in Downtown Mountain View.

Normally, sig-beer-west festivities start at 6:00 pm.  But this month,
festivities will start at 1:00 pm, and continue until ???.  There is
music scheduled at the Festival as early as 11:00 am that day, so
anyone wanting to spend sometime at the festival before the start of
sig-beer-west can show up at 11:00 to listen.  The last musical event
is schedule for 9:00 pm that day.

When you show up, you should look for some kind of home made
sig-beer-west sign.  We will try to make it obvious who we are. :-)
Note:  Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a particular
person.  sig-beer-west may have different hosts from month to month.

Everyone is welcome at this event.  We mean it!  Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and
others (all of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass
with interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month.  (Do it now
before you forget!)  sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday of
each month.

Want to suggest a venue?  Suggestions for new places to sip and gab
are always welcome.  Have questions, comments, or other ideas
concerning sig-beer-west?  Send all correspondence to the current
sig-beer-west Instigator.  The Instigator's handle is extasia.  The
Instigator's email address is <*the handle*> at <*the handle*> dot
<*org*>.  A subject beginning with "sbw: " will increase the chances
that the Instigator's spam filters don't molest your message.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1.  Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends".  How do I
       know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

    A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend.  You
       just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
       month's event.  That's it.  Simple, huh?

2.  Q: I'm not really a beer person.  In fact I'm interested in hanging
       out, but not in drinking.  Would I be welcome?

    A: Absolutely!  The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
       folks.  Please do join us.

3.  Q: Is parking difficult, like maybe I should factor this into my
       travel time?

    A: Usually, but the earlier you arrive, the better your chances of
       finding a spot.

4.  Q: I've been thinking about attending sig-beer-west for some time
       now.  Maybe I should start with this event?

    A: Yes!!

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a [45]dc-sage tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

  SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
  "send the BEER signal to that process".

  The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC,
  usually on the first Saturday night of the month.

Last modified:  $Date: 2004/08/07 20:21:41 $

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

sfpug by date

Next:From: Brian GhidinelliDate: 2004-08-10 12:50:46