Re: pg_hba.conf changes without restarting postmaster

From: jseymour(at)linxnet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf changes without restarting postmaster
Date: 2004-07-30 23:40:48
Lists: pgsql-general
Si Chen <schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> It seems that every time I make a change to pg_hba.conf, I have to
> restart the database server for the new authentication to take effect.
> Is there a way to have the server use the new pg_hba.conf authentication
> without restarting the production server.

The documentation is your friend.

Excerpt from $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf:
# This file is read on server startup and when the postmaster receives
# a SIGHUP signal.  If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect, or use
# "pg_ctl reload".

And...

$ man pg_ctl
     reload mode simply sends the  postmaster  process  a  SIGHUP
     signal,   causing  it  to  reread  its  configuration  files
     (postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf, etc.). This  allows  changing
     of configuration-file options that do not require a complete
     restart to take effect.

Jim