Re: Admin functions contrib

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Admin functions contrib
Date: 2004-07-29 17:12:14
Lists: pgsql-patches
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > Basically I think we are converging on an answer that we can't do any of
> > this for 7.5.
>
> If it's not going into the distribution as contrib or core, I'll package
> that as additional admin pack. I'm quite sure I can convince the win32
> installer packager guys to include that as default-on option as soon as
> I'm able to prove them how it's working.

Uh, but it isn't working on Win32, right?  How do you fix that?  During
beta?  That would be OK as an add-on.

> > The scope has gone way beyond what we had at feature
> > freeze, and we can't even get it to work on Win32,
>
> ??? The functions will work for win32, are you talking about logging?

I mean logging.

> The win32 log issue isn't a serverlog rotation issue, as I stated also
> the current stderr output is affected! I'd clearly see that as a fix,
> whilst it might be more than 10 lines of code. I'll try to fix that
> tomorrow. The very log_destination=file and rotation code will be more
> or less the same as for ***x.

But does it work on Win32 and Unix?  It has to.

> > I have added this to the TODO list:
> >
> > 	* Allow server logs to be read using SQL commands
> > 	* Allow server configuration parameters to be modified remotetly
>
> This is desirable in any case. But until 7.6 will be around, 1-1.5 years
> and ???,000 installations will happen. Since the functionality is
> available now or will be available VSN (certainly before 7.5 release),
> there's no good reason suppress it.

Yes, that is a problem but we have to cut or we will never get to beta.
Probably doing an add-on until 7.6 might be the best but you are working
on it so let's see.