Re: win32 version info

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: win32 version info
Date: 2004-07-26 18:28:57
Lists: pgsql-patches

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> This patch along with the attached files (.tar.gz unpacks in src/)
> adds VERSIONINFO to all binaries under win32. This is generally
> considered a good thing

Out of curiosity: Why?

> Finally, the patch adds an elephant icon to psql.exe (so it'll go
> nicely in the start menu for example). This icon was taken from Gavin
> Roys postgresql artwork page (http://pgsql.gavinroy.com/art).

Would it be possible to provide a scalable version of the logo in the
source code and generate the appropriate format from that at build
time? I know, for example, that some Linux packages put psql in their
menu and might like an endorsed logo for that. If we used, say, SVG
for that, we could also avoid storing more binary files in the source
tree. (I have an SVG version of the elephant available, btw.) We
could even provide a .desktop file.

Moreover, the file should be called psql.ico, not pgsql.ico.

--
Peter Eisentraut