Re: Can't increase max connections

From: Roberto De Shong <shong_1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>,"pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't increase max connections
Date: 2004-07-25 23:15:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
Actually I got it solved, I recompiled the kernel adding the options below:
options        SYSVSHM
options        SYSVSEM
options        SYSVMSG
options        SHMMAXPGS=65536
options        SEMMNI=40
options        SEMMNS=240
options        SEMUME=40
options        SEMMNU=120
And I made the following modifications to postgresql.conf:
shared_buffers = 4096
max_fsm_relations = 1024
max_fsm_pages = 16384
sort_mem = 4096
I was tthen able to increase it, I only set maxconnections to 200, because I'm using database pooling to manage connections which I'm only using 80 connections max.

Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> wrote:

Roberto De Shong wrote:

| I have installed PostgreSQL 7.3 on FreeBSD 4.10 Stable, and have been
| trying to increase the max connections. the most I'm able to is 40, if I
| increase it any higher I'm unable to start the database. Is there any
| tip, s hte any guide where I can get an idea of the other values to set
| in postgresql.conf for increasing max connections? I had also recompile
| the kernel and changed maxusers from 0 to 64. I'm not sure if increasing
| it even more would allow me increase connections. Would appreciate some
| help, thanks.

Most likely you are out of shared memory segments that you OS allow.
If you are on Linux try to pump-up shmmax and shmall

Gaetano Mendola

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -

Roberto De Shong