Re: win32 readline

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 readline
Date: 2004-07-20 20:36:40
Lists: pgsql-patches
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Readline is pretty badly broken under mingw. Basically, it disables the
> alt-gr key, which renders psql almost useless on most locales (no way to
> type backslash, and a whole lot of other characters, for example).
>
> This patch disables readline on win32. (meaning it's back to working the
> way it did in <= 7.4, since msvc compiles have never supported readline)
>

> The patch also contains two definitions for win32/port/security.c that
> were for some reason not included when the rest of the win32-admin-check
> patch was applied earlier, that I stumbled on while making this patch.

I have added the following change to configure.in:

	# readline on MinGW has problems with backslashes in psql and other bugs.
	# This is particularly a problem with non-US code pages.
	# Therefore disable its use until we understand the cause. 2004-07-20
	case $host_os in mingw*)
	  if test "$with_readline" = yes; then
	    AC_MSG_WARN([*** Readline does not work on MinGW --- disabling])
	    with_readline=no
	  fi;;
	esac

and will issue this warning during configure run:

	configure: WARNING: *** Readline does not work on MinGW --- disabling

You can suppress this warning by running configure using
--without-readline.  If we find a fix for this we can remove this code.