Re: Slony-1 in 7.4.3 RPM

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: "Kaj J(dot)Niemi" <mail(dot)sw(dot)pg(dot)ports(at)spam(dot)fi(dot)basen(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slony-1 in 7.4.3 RPM
Date: 2004-07-13 15:26:20
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Monday 12 July 2004 15:49, Kaj J.Niemi wrote:
> It would be nice if the upstream rpm distribution had Slony-1 as well as
> RedHat has wanted to keep their packages close to yours. :)

Follow the discussion in Red Hat's bugzilla.

The short of it:
Slony is a strategic piece of the RPM puzzle, in that it can upgrade (or
downgrade) between major versions.  This has been a serious thorn in the side
of upgrades for a long time, and I believe Slony I is part of the solution.

Since Slony I requires a full PostgreSQL source tree against which to build,
it makes sense to me to package it together (in a separate subpackage,
perhaps) with the main RPM set.  HOWEVER, this really isn't ideal due to the
lack of synchronism in the release cycles.

But we have already done this with PygreSQL AND the JDBC client, neither of
which are synched to the main tree schedule.

Comments, anyone?

(the other strategic piece of this pie is making multiple major versions
coexist; this way you keep running the older version until you want to
migrate, at which point you set up slony to migrate.)
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology