Re: Recover from a media failure

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Jose Almeida <JMiguel(at)ptinovacao(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recover from a media failure
Date: 2004-06-28 18:25:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:49:21 +0100,
  Jose Almeida <JMiguel(at)ptinovacao(dot)pt> wrote:

> Can someone explain me how can i recover (media failure) until last
> transaction from a backup (something like archivelog in Oracle db)?
>
> In Oracle if i make a backup on instant t1 and a datafile be corrupt on
> instant t2 (t2>t1), then i can restore from backup and apply archivelogs to
> recover until t2.

Right now you can't do this. Some version of this will probably be available
with 7.5. Feature freeze will be happening this week and you can check
to see if PITR made it in. A production version of 7.5 probably won't
be released until mid fall (October or November). (There is also a chance
that the release may be named 8.0 instead of 7.5.)