Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-18 18:37:31
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have a few other questions:
>
> > What is the procedure for moving tablespace directories?
>
> There is none.
>
> > However, pg_tablespace still has the old location.
>
> Yup.  The *only* thing that pg_tablespace.spclocation is used for is
> for pg_dumpall to dump appropriate CREATE TABLESPACE commands, so it's
> not like you couldn't hack it after the fact.
>
> > Do we need ALTER TABLESPACE to move tablespaces, and ALTER clauses to
> > move objects to other tablespaces?  Are these TODO items for later?
>
> TODO.  You sound like a man who's expecting a
> several-generations-polished facility when we only just committed
> the first version today.  I do not feel a need to have any of these
> features in 7.5 ...

I just need to know what to add to the TODO list, and so we can answer
people who are going to ask for this functionality.  Added to TODO:

	* Allow reporting of which objects are in which tablespaces
	* Allow database recovery where tablespaces can't be created
        o Add ALTER TABLESPACE to change location, name, owner
        o Allow objects to be moved between tablespaces

I think this all the items still needed.