Re: Relocatable locale

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relocatable locale
Date: 2004-05-27 02:41:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> The problem boils down to the fact that libpq needs to find its data
> >> files (in this case locale data, but it could be anything), but it
> >> doesn't know its own location, so it can't use a relative path
> >> reference as has been proposed.
>
> > I am wondering if we should use environment variables, and have our apps
> > use putenv() to set it to the proper relative path.
>
> *Our* apps are not the problem. The problem comes when libpq is

Well, right now our apps don't work, so it is a problem. Of course the
bigger problem is other apps. How do libs find related files? I can't
think if a common API for that.

> I can't say I care for the environment variable idea either; though
> there may not be any better alternative.

I think the best we can do is putenv() for our apps, and document the
variable for other apps.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us