pgsql-server/src backend/catalog/index.c backe ...

From: tgl(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Tom Lane)
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql-server/src backend/catalog/index.c backe ...
Date: 2004-05-08 00:34:49
Lists: pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:	/cvsroot
Module name:	pgsql-server
Changes by:	tgl(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org	04/05/07 21:34:49

Modified files:
	src/backend/catalog: index.c
	src/backend/commands: cluster.c indexcmds.c tablecmds.c
	src/include/catalog: index.h
	src/include/commands: cluster.h

Log message:
	Get rid of cluster.c's apparatus for rebuilding a relation's indexes
	in favor of using the REINDEX TABLE apparatus, which does the same thing
	simpler and faster.  Also, make TRUNCATE not use cluster.c at all, but
	just assign a new relfilenode and REINDEX.  This partially addresses
	Hartmut Raschick's complaint from last December that 7.4's TRUNCATE is
	an order of magnitude slower than prior releases.  By getting rid of
	a lot of unnecessary catalog updates, these changes buy back about a
	factor of two (on my system).  The remaining overhead seems associated
	with creating and deleting storage files, which we may not be able to
	do much about without abandoning transaction safety for TRUNCATE.

pgsql-committers by date