Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-30 21:04:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:30:12PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> June 1st, let's do beta for 7.5 and then branch onto 8.0, with 8.0 key'd
> to the Win32 Native port being finished ...

I seem to remember the same argument at 7.4 time.  I don't use
Windows, I think it's a bletcherous system, but I really think
delaying the Windows port Yet Again will make the project almost
completely irrelevant to a significant audience.  I completely agree
that it'd be a bad idea to slip indefinitely on the basis of "Windows
is still not ready," but if it's a matter of changing freeze date by
a month, given the long notice, why is that a bad thing?

The Windows port is _extremely_ important for a lot of people, and I
think it'd be short sighted to ignore that constituency, even if they
are mostly not here yet.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca