Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-30 03:10:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Marc is concerned that folks will not work hard to meet a deadline and
> > will slack off if we push thing to July 1.
>
> I don't think I'm so muc worried about that as under-estimating the amount
> of time required to finish them ... its not like *that's* never happened
> before, and with something as big as some of the features that are in the
> works, and with some of the major show-stoppers that the Win32 port has
> brought up, I can seriously see '1 month' being drawn out further ...
>
> > Win32 has continued on a steady pace for six months now.
>
> Be honest ... 6 months ago, did you believe the Win32 work would have
> taken >6 months? How many of the current issues could you have
> anticipated? How many will crop up in the next month?

Honestly, I didn't think we would be this far by now (we had regression
tests mostly passing 4-6 weeks ago), and the win32 status page hasn't
added a new TODO item in quite some time. I thought we would be hacking
Win32 all through 7.5 beta and releasing something after 7.5 as a 7.5
plus patches release but we are far enough along to hit 7.5 by feature
freeze.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us