Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 17:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >Right now, the feature freeze is tentative for 1st of June, which has been
> >thrown around a few times already ...
> >

> If it has I've missed it - always seemed somewhat vaguer to me.

Yes, it was vague. The question is now that we are a month away, do we
want to target June 1, mid-June, or July 1.

Some are saying that once Win32 is ready, it will justify a release even
if the other features are not ready.

Looking at the list:

o tablespaces (Gavin)
o nested transactions (Alvaro)
o two-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)
o integrated pg_autovacuum (O'Connor)
o PITR (Riggs)
o Win32 (Claudio, Magnus)
o replication (Sloney)
o server-side Java

I have talked to each person, and here is where we are on these
projects:

o tablespaces (Gavin)

Gavin has the code 3/4 done. I told him to submit soon and he said we
will have something in a few days.

o nested transactions (Alvaro)

Has submitted patches that are under review. He has the nesting of
BEGIN done, and storage manager subtransaction handling. I think he
needs to do pg_subtrans system table and error recovery. He says he can
finish in time.

o two-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)

Has patches and is waiting for Alvaro's patches to be applied. Not sure
how complete his patch is but it has been posted. We need to review its
functionality.

o integrated pg_autovacuum (O'Connor)

Unknown. We need fixes for temp tables for 7.4.3 too.

o PITR (Riggs)

Patch submitted but now discussing how logging should be accomplished.

o Win32 (Claudio, Magnus)

Win32 status page lists some items still to be completed:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project

o replication (Sloney)

Released independently. Nearing beta.

o server-side Java

Released independently. Nearing beta or already in beta.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us