Re: default enconding

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default enconding
Date: 2004-03-28 04:50:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Hi, I have found what I thing is a quite annoying behaviour of
> Postgres (psql). When you type (and ask for complation) for some
> string that has some characters not in the ASCII encoding it requires
> a double quote on it, however if you don't put those double quotes
> around it, you can still execute the query. So what about changing the
> behaviour to either don't accept characters with the 8 bit set or
> accept by default strings in the iso-8859-1 encoding instead of ASCII
> endoding by default.

Apparently regarding everything ISO-8859-1 is not correct:-)

Probably we need to make quote_indet() a little bit smarter so that it
should quote input text only when it includes ASCII capital letters
and any other non delimter-appropreate letters except 8 bit
characters.

BTW, currently tab completion is not working for multibyte
encoding(including UTF-8, I guess) because it's broken in that it's
not multibyte ware.

I think we need to fix that as well.
--
Tatsuo Ishii