Re: [PHP] upgrading to 7.4.2

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Raul Secan <raul(at)zerosoft(dot)ro>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PHP] upgrading to 7.4.2
Date: 2004-03-24 17:26:08
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-php

I am copying this back to the admin list to keep the discussion where more
people can comment. (The admin list is more appropiate than the PHP
list where your initial questions were posted.)

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:09:51 +0200,
Raul Secan <raul(at)zerosoft(dot)ro> wrote:
> What I mean is that this is the only posibility to upgrade Postgres, by
> deleting the old one and installing the new one?
>
> Isn't there an easy way to upgrade this database server (for example MySQL's
> upgrade is very easy to do: rpm -Uvh mysql.xxxxx.rpm)?

If you have rpms for 7.4.2 you can do the update that way. That just replaces
the binaries, it doesn't do anything to the data. That technique will
work as long as you are doing an upgrade between two minor releases of
the same major release. You have to do a dump first if you are changing
major release version. Also you should read the release notes for 7.4.2
as there are some special instructions in this case.