Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>,"Subbiah, Stalin" <SSubbiah(at)netopia(dot)com>,"'Andrew Sullivan'" <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date: 2004-03-23 20:13:29
Lists: pgsql-performance
Matt, Stalin,

> As for the compute intensive side (complex joins & sorts etc), the Dell will
most likely beat the Sun by some distance, although
> what the Sun lacks in CPU power it may make up a bit in memory bandwidth/
latency.

Personally, I've been unimpressed by Dell/Xeon; I think the Sun might do
better than you think, comparitively.    On all the Dell servers I've used so
far, I've not seen performance that comes even close to the hardware specs.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions