Re: ERROR: column "ctid" does not exist

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: gtgibson(at)jbstamping(dot)com, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: column "ctid" does not exist
Date: 2004-03-12 23:05:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc
--- "George T. Gibson" <gtgibson(at)jbstamping(dot)com>
wrote:
> I am trying to access PostgreSQL from Openoffice
> using iodbc on Linux
>
> When trying to look at any views I get ERROR: column
> "ctid" does not exist.
>
> Any suggestions?

Every table contains a few system columns, including
"ctid", which identifies the storage location of the
record (IIRC).  Normally these system columns are not
visible when you list a tables columns, but you can
select them.

The PostgreSQL ODBC driver uses the "ctid" as a unique
identifier for a record.

AFAIK there is no reason why you could not just add
"ctid" to your select list in your view definition.

Note that using the ctid as an identifier in an
application is not a good idea, as the ctid value for
a particular record could change over time.

> My .odbc.ini file is:
>
> [ODBC Data Sources]
> PostgreSQL = PostgreSQL native driver
>
> [PostgreSQL]
> Description         = Production Database
> Driver              = /usr/local/lib/psqlodbc.so
> Trace               = No
> TraceFile           = /tmp/odbc.log
> Database            = data
> Server          = 192.168.2.254
> UserName            = ggibson
> Password            =
> Port                = 5432
> Protocol            = 6.4
> ReadOnly            = Yes
> RowVersioning       = Yes
> ShowSystemTables    = No
> ShowOidColumn       = No
> FakeOidIndex        = No
> ConnSettings        = SET SEARCH_PATH TO public
>
> [ODBC]
> ;Tracing = 1
> ;TraceFile = /tmp/odbctrace.log
> ;Debugging = 1
> ;DebugFile = /tmp/odbcdebug.log
>
> --
> George Gibson
> J.B. Stamping, Inc.
> 7413 Associate Ave.
> Cleveland, OH 44144
> 216.631.0013  216.631.1327 fax
> gtgibson(at)jbstamping(dot)com

> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)