Re: Postgres on Cygwin

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: David Mitchell <david(dot)mitchell(at)telogis(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres on Cygwin
Date: 2004-03-12 16:04:17
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
David,

Sigh...  Please keep your replies on-list.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:18:36AM +1300, David Mitchell wrote:
> >>Could you give me a guide to building postgres with cygserver
> >>please?
> >
> >Yes, it is very easy:
> >
> >    1. Uninstall cypipc (if installed)
> >    2. Reinstall Cygwin (if you uninstalled cygipc)
> >    3. Build PostgreSQL (using the normal procedure)
>
> That's great, thank you. There is still a problem though. Postgres
> builds and installs fine, but now when I try to run initdb I get a
> whole lot of signal 12 messages:
>
> $ initdb -D /usr/postgres/data
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "davidm".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> creating directory /usr/postgres/data... ok
> creating directory /usr/postgres/data/base... ok
> creating directory /usr/postgres/data/global... ok
> creating directory /usr/postgres/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /usr/postgres/data/pg_clog... ok
> selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> [snip]
> initdb: failed
> initdb: removing data directory "/usr/postgres/data"
>
> Your help is very much appreciated, thanks

Did you read the cygserver README?  Specifically, about setting
CYGWIN=server on the client side?  Did you install and start the
cygserver service?

IIRC, you may need to tweak some of the settings in the postgresql.conf
file.  This will be clearly documented in my README when I release a
Cygwin PostgreSQL built against cygserver.  Note that I am waiting for
Cygwin 1.5.8 before doing so.

Jason