Re: installing postgresql

From: joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing postgresql
Date: 2004-03-11 05:35:10
Lists: pgsql-novice
hi,
yes, you are having a hard time

try this:

'su - postgres' and see what is around where that lands you (in postgres' home directory).  It may not be standard or not, but I have $(home_postgres)/data/postgresql.conf so that may be where it is. $PGDATA is an environment var which holds where the data is, if you are curious.

I don't know why you need that file, though.  You have start scripts for the server, you can use those as root to start/stop the server.  Redhat rpms throw stuff in the most stupid places.  To find where it did put things, do rpm -qa | grep postgresql then when you see which rpms you have, you can see what files the rpm installed with 'rpm -ql ...rpm_name....' (you can do them both a la meme fois si vous voulez avec 'rpm -ql `rpm -qa | grep postgres`'

You only should upgrade at all if you can't start the server and connect to it.  For your labs, 7.3.2 has everything you need, for sure!!  I don't think you should at this point.  See what you have first.

To connect to the server, see if it is running by doing 'ps -aux' (linux) and looking for postmaster process.   And, try typing 'psql -d template1'.  You shouldn't need a pass to connect to them??

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:15:39PM +1300, stm23 wrote:
> hi, i'm really having a difficult time setting up postgresql on my home
> computer.  i have v7.3.2 preinstalled with my OS, but it's really confusing
> trying to comprehend it.  there's no usr/local/pgsql/ folder - it's really
> hard to find files like postgres.conf.  the files seem to be all over the
> place :(  i'd like to just start again & reinstall a new version from scratch.
>  (do i need to uninstall 7.3.2 first?).  here's what i need to able to do (so
> that i can simulate labs for a 300-level Database Management course at home):
>
> * create & run a pgsql server
> * create & maintain pgsql databases
> * JDBC support
>
> could some1 please advise me as to the exact files that i need to download
> (ie, version, source/rpm etc) in order to meet my needs.  please be as clear
> as possible :)
>
> thanx for any help u can offer
> sam
>
> comp details:
> dell 600m inspiron laptop (1.4GHz, 512RAM)
> i686
> Redhat 9.0 OS

joe speigle
www.sirfsup.com