Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Makefile
Date: 2004-03-09 18:13:01
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:

> > I think the only reason HISTORY and INSTALL are in CVS is because we
> > want people running CVS during beta to have changes docs and install
> > instructions that don't require them to pull down a new tarball each
> > time or read the docs via a web site.
>
> That argument seems a bit silly for HISTORY, seeing that it's generally
> not up-to-date during beta testing.  As for INSTALL, those instructions
> don't change fast enough to surprise beta testers, so I'm not convinced
> about it either.

Actually, recent releases had a current HISTORY before beta started.
However, if they are downloading the beta tarballs, the HISTORY/INSTALL
files are already generated.  It would only be useful for CVS pulls
during beta though.

One idea would be to replace file content with a single URL that points
to the development docs, then when the tarball is built, it can
overwrite those files.

Marc?