pgsql-server/contrib/start-scripts PostgreSQL. ...

From: momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian)
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql-server/contrib/start-scripts PostgreSQL. ...
Date: 2004-03-09 01:59:13
Lists: pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:	/cvsroot
Module name:	pgsql-server
Changes by:	momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org	04/03/08 21:59:13

Modified files:
	contrib/start-scripts: PostgreSQL.darwin
	                       StartupParameters.plist.darwin

Log message:
	I wanted to submit some changes to the bundled postgres startup
	script for Mac OS X. I added calls to utilize the bundled apache
	rotatelogs script in the DB startup for log rotation. Also modified
	startup parameters file to allow using the "SystemStarter" utility to
	start/stop/restart postgres with a rotating log file.

	The script credits David Wheeler, 2002. I wrote him a message about
	the changes an he suggested I post them here. I explain some of the
	changes below.

	Not sure how to submit the changes. I have 3 files, "PostgreSQL"
	script, "StartupParameters.plist" file, "pg_startupscript.diff" file.
	The diff file was run against the original "PostgreSQL" script file.
	I'll try attaching them to this message. If they get filtered I can
	resend if needed.

	Thanks.

	Ray A.

	------------------------------------

	1) Changed the "Provides" parameter in StartupParameters.plist to
	"PostgreSQL" from "postgres database" simply for ease of typing. It
	seems that the SystemStarter utility uses the "Provides" value if you
	want to control the script. This way I did not have to enclose it in
	quotes on commandline. The modified StartupParameters.plist is now an
	XML document also.

	2) For the startup script I added 2 user modifiable variables:

	# do you want to rotate the log files, 1=true 0=false
	ROTATELOGS=1

	# logfile rotate in seconds
	ROTATESEC="604800"

	I also added a non modifiable variable:

	# The apache log rotation utility
	LOGUTIL="/usr/sbin/rotatelogs"

	I modified the StartService and RestartService functions to execute
	the new commands if the user wants log rotation.

	Ray Aspeitia

pgsql-committers by date