Re: Known issue with Reindex-based corruption?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Known issue with Reindex-based corruption?
Date: 2004-02-26 17:40:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom,

> One question that comes to mind is were you reindexing a system or user
> table?

User.

> Another is whether you were using disks that lie about write
> completion (SCSI vs IDE)?

First thing I thought of.   Haven't been able to verify, yet.

The basic symptoms are:
1) Machine stated scheduled REINDEX.
2) Unexpected power-out
3) On reboot, we have 2 different versions of the index file on disk,
one with 0 bytes.   Attempts to use the index (via SELECT) result in
statement-fatal errors.

I'm waiting on more data.   For now, I was wondering whether there was a known
issue with WAL recovery on indexes in 7.2.4.   Neil thought there was.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology 	josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
    and data management solutions 	(415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses 	 fax 651-9224
    and non-profit organizations. 	San Francisco