Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary installer)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary installer)
Date: 2004-02-12 16:19:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> To all:
>
> I think there are a couple of things about this issue that have not been
> completely thought out. Moving off of an environment based home
> variable should not be taken lightly. Switching the runtime environment
> variables to use the registry will have several unintended consequences:
>
> 1. There are several warnings and messages in postgres that explicitly
> make reference to environment variables...these now have to be changed
> for the win32 port.
>
> 2. Application software written in C for PostgreSQL ported from unix may
> not necessarily work anymore (assumptions about PGDATA).
>
> 3. Just like the registry, the env has a system and a user area to make
> settings. By default, mysql puts it home directory into the system
> area. Nobody on the mysql lists seems to have a problem with this.
>
> 4. Manipulating the environment is generally easier (either using SET or
> parameter invocation from the command line) and has little/no win32
> centric coding.
>
> 5. The PeerDirect port uses environment settings, and I found it easy to
> work with...why fix something that isn't broken?

The win32 TODO now has:

Store settings in the registry and set environment variables in
the process

What additional things to we need to deal with if we go the direction of
having the environment variables set from the registry and read-only in
the process?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us