Re: Postgresql wants cygcygipc-2.dll despite server - cy

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: "Leeuw van der, Tim" <tim(dot)leeuwvander(at)nl(dot)unisys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql wants cygcygipc-2.dll despite server - cy
Date: 2004-02-06 12:24:51
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Tim,

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:57:14AM -0500, Leeuw van der, Tim wrote:
> I'm actually rather curious to the performance of using cygwin-server
> for IPC, instead of using cygipc. Any figures / indications?

I have not attempted to do a comprehensive comparison, but I do have
some results from always capturing the output of "time" whenever I run
the regression test. AFAICT, 7.4.1 running against cygipc takes about 6
minutes to run, while 7.4.1 running against cygserver takes about 5
minutes on the same machine. An approximately 17% improvement is very
respectable.

Additionally, I presume that Cygwin PostgreSQL should be much more
stable without cygipc (which the original authors admit was a hack at
best). Hopefully, some of the bizarre problems reported over the years
will "go away" and things like PL/Tcl with start to work.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6