Re: msg translation into sk_SK, Docs: SGML -> XML

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: "BARTKO, Zoltan" <bartko(dot)zoltan(at)pobox(dot)sk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: msg translation into sk_SK, Docs: SGML -> XML
Date: 2004-01-29 08:01:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:29:14AM +0100, BARTKO, Zoltan wrote:
> I would like to take up the translation of pgsql msg strings into
> slovak (sk_SK). It is fairly similar to czech (cz_CZ), so it should go
> quite fast. Please stand up, if you have any objections.

If you don't want to waste time do it if the release 7.5 will at least
in beta, preferably in messages freeze state and nobody will modify
PostgreSQL messages.

> I made the translation of parts of the 7.2 manual in slovak (tutorial,
> users manual, admin's manual almost ready) that time I thought I would
> publish it, but Bruce Momjian's book appeared in the bookstores a few
> weeks ago. I decided I would go on with the translation and use the
> sgml files (my translation was formatted as a LyX document) and
> a message translating program. I wanted to use KBabel, but that
> understands .po(t) files only. To have a .pot file I could use xml2po,
> but I need xml. I can convert sgml to xml myself, but it would be
> easier to have it done centrally - perhaps other languages would want
> their docs in their native language too. Once it is ready, the changes
> could be easily incorporated before the respective releases.

Peter E. works on XML docbook version of docs. I don't know if he wants
to move directly to XML or uses on the fly conversion to XML by osx
(sgml2xml). This conversion you try use by "make testxml" stuff in the
doc/src/sgml/Makefile. I tested it and it works -- but for example
conversion from XML to PDF by "fop" failed, but it's might be fop
problem.

Peter, what's your planns?

Karel

--