Re: How to turn flat file to SQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: dj00302003(at)yahoo(dot)com (Jay Davis), pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to turn flat file to SQL
Date: 2004-01-19 01:25:18
Lists: pgsql-novice
Jay,

> The question is, can we put this into a SQL database just as a
> flat file, ie as one table, with one column per question, or should
> we break it into several tables, for instance with a table of
> the "keywords" (the boxes that can be checked).  Is there any
> problem on a typical Linux box with running PostgreSql database
> with one table of 120 columns?

Well, administration with that kind of a structure will be rather a pain.  To
answer your question in 2 parts:

1) Yes, you can load the flat file with unchanged structure.
2) Yes, you will soon wish to use something better, such as:

(incomplete pseudo-SQL)

table survey_responses (
	user_id
	response_date
	ip_address
	status
	key (user_id, response_date)
)

table survey_questions (
	question_id
	question_type
	question_text
)

table survey_answers (
	user_id
	response_date
	question_id
	response
	key (user_id, response_date, question_id)
)

This will make *much* more efficient use of DB resources, but requires you to
understand relational database design.

Incidentally, among my (many) unfinished projects is to publish the structure
and code backing the OpenOffice.org User Survey as an OSS survey-generation
engine.  Someday ...

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions