Re: Requirements for updated site

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Requirements for updated site
Date: 2004-01-16 15:03:52
Lists: pgsql-www
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Now, what happens when a *new* visitor comes to the website? Should
> *his* eyes be focused on main content? No, first thing he should
> understand is "what is this site about" and "what is it basic
> structure". The current layout does not help this at all.

At least new visitors to the current site don't leave cross-eyed ... I
give that a big check over what you've proposed ...

> Then the logo must direct attention to the main navigation structure.
> The main navigation structure is bad, too: the letters are small (OK in
> IE, but *small* in Mozilla, both under Windows and Linux) and not
> contrast enough.

I run Mozilla under FreeBSD, and find the site perfectly readable as it is

> The navigation menus on the left and right do not fit into the screen in
> any resolution. What's worse, it is impossible to see even the headers
> of the ones at the bottom, i.e. 'gborg' and 'international'!

Huh?  What resolution are you running?  I have a laptop at home that I
loaded it up to last night and got the 'gray borders' on either side ...

> These were the issues I tried to address in my mock-up. And at least it
> allows me to get overview of the whole site without need to scroll @
> 1024x768 (this is the most common resolution now).

I run higher resolution on my desktop then laptop, and laptop is at home,
but up/down scroll doesn't bother me, and on neither my laptop or desktop
do I have to scroll left/right ... in fact, on my desktop at 1600x1200,
the following sites all require me to still scroll up/down:

http://www.mozilla.org
	- menu on left, 'sub menu' across the top right
http://www.kde.org
	- menu on both sides, 'sub menu' across the top right
http://www.freebsd.org
	- menu on both sides, 'sub menu' across the top right
http://www.gimp.org
	- menu on left side
http://www.redhat.com
	- three frames down the middle, menu across the top
http://www.debian.org
	- menu on left side and across the top

in all 6 above cases, on a 1600x1200 resolution screen, using Mozilla 1.6b
with default fonts, I have to scroll up and down, so it seems pretty
common ...

----